Review and update of the preliminary flood risk assessment – II planning cycle (2018)
Review and Update to the Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment (PFRA) in the second planning cycle has been carried out within the framework of the project POIS.02.01.00-00-0014/16 funded by the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, II Priority Axis: Environmental protection, including adaptation to climate change, Activity 2.1 Adaptation to climate change along with ensuring safety and increasing resilience to natural disasters, in particular, natural disasters and environmental monitoring.
The goal of the project was to review and update the preliminary flood risk assessment by 22 December 2018 r.
Three main tasks have been completed as part of the Project:
- Review and update of the preliminary flood risk assessment;
- Project management;
- Promotional and informational activities.
The immediate effect of the implementation of the Project, which is the environmental effect, is to develop reports from WORP review and update, cartographic visualisations and spatial databases for at least 5 river basin areas, as well as reports to the EU Commission.
Implementation period: 2016-2019
Planned total cost of the project: 5,000,000 PLN
Planned amount of funding from the Cohesion Fund: 4,250,000 PLN
Planned amount of funding from the State Budget: 750,000 PLN
The project carried out by the Polish Waters, National Water Management Board, was implemented in close cooperation with:
- the Ministry of Marine Economy and Inland Waterway responsible for the development and the review and update of the preliminary assessment of flood risk on the sea side, including internal marine waters,
- the National Geological Institute – National Research Institute developing the preliminary assessment of flood risk (PFRA) in terms of flooding from groundwater (undercuts).
The most important changes and improvements made in PFRA in the 2nd planning cycle consist of:
In 2016, the President of the National Water Management Board proceeded to draw up the review and update of the preliminary flood risk assessment (PFRA). The preliminary contract was signed on May 11, 2016. Contracts with contractors were signed in 2017 (Task 1) and 2018 (Task 3), and PFRA will be prepared and published by December 22, 2018. Reports from the implementation of the review and update of the preliminary flood risk assessment will be delivered of the EU Commission by December 22, 2019.
- September 29, 2017 – signing of the contract with the Contractor and the commencement of works,
- December 29, 2017 - the acquisition of data and information for the purpose of PFRA, including surveys in local government units in terms of historical floods and changes to the level of flood hazard and flood risk,
- June 22, 2018. - preparation of PFRA project including databases of historical floods and probable floods, specifying APSFRs, creating PFRA databases, preparation of a draft of the report on the review and update of PFRA, as well as preparation of cartographic visualisations of PFRA maps,
- period from 1 August to 9 November, 2018. - PFRA assessment by provincial governors and marshals, as well as the exchange of information necessary for the development of WORP with EU Member States,
- December 22, 2018 - development of the final version of the methodology and report, resulting database with metadata and cartographic visualisation,
- March 22, 2019 - submission of the report from the implementation of PFRA to the European Commission.